Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, December 01, 2005

What is in a Name?

What is in a name?  A lot, if you ask me.  While I don’t believe an individual’s personality, lifestyle, and future is determined by the placement of a name upon them, I have often found myself considering its significance.  Matt, George, Gary, Kristen, Mary, Hope, Faith, Star… When you hear theses names, do they conjure up an image?  Do you imagine someone you already know with that name; or, perhaps a stigma attached to the one who bears it?  How often do you ponder “That name doesn’t fit” when you meet someone?  I won’t insult anyone with my own preconceived notions of “Name Stigma.”

I was given the name Jack Eugene Dorris at birth.  A name I am proud to bear, now; but, once was a time in my youth that my name tortured me.  Tormented by my first name as it is the subject of many, many nursery rhymes.  Ashamed of my second, Eugene, for the stigma attached, “Nerd.”  And even harassed for my surname’s close relationship to Doris Day and how easily twisted it can become “Dorkis.”  All reasons evident to the youth.  However, I’ve come to appreciate my name; the name given to me after my grandfather, Jack Eugene Sturges.  (The Sturges Family—the subject of a blog to come, eventually.)

Once aware of the significance of my name, and in contemplation of procreation, I gave considerable thought to a Jack Eugene Dorris, Jr.  Jack, a strong name in its own right (or am I just delusional?), paired with the pride of its heritage, created a sense of warmth and meaning to my existence.  Modesty aside for a moment, I am quite proud of the man I have become.  Not for my wealth (or lack thereof), and not for the smart choices I’ve made in my past (few and far between), but rather for the growth as a person that my life’s path has given me.  And because of that, there is a sense of passing along that wisdom achieved to my offspring with the name.  I want my son to be every bit the man I am today and more; and, by giving him my name, a passing of the torch is instilled.  But, alas, this will not come to pass; for I am the only one who embraces the implications.  (It must be delusion, eh?)

Over bouts of discussion with Natalie and members of the family, a name for our first born has come to light.  The name originated as a lark in the entertainment of naming twins while visiting my family up north.  Premise: If you’re having a boy and a girl as twins, what would a cute set of names be?  Brie was quickly tossed into the ring for the girl.  But, what would compliment Brie for a boy?  How about Colby?  We all laughed at the thought of naming our children after CHEESE.  The funny thing is, the longer it sat with me the more I loved it!  Colby Jack Dorris.  It’s perfect!  Baby Colby, Cole, C.J.—it fits.  Granted, we are setting our child up for a lifetime of harassment; but what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger.

What do people think when they hear your name?

No comments: